What is Botox?
What is Botox?
Botox is a nonsurgical treatment that helps temporarily improve moderate to severe frown lines, particularly between the brows. Botox decreases the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, can cure certain types of migraines, fix a gummy smile and help reduce the discomfort associated with TMJ Disorders and migraines.
When you have good Botox, it looks like you haven’t had Botox! That’s what we strive to achieve at ITS Dental Hospital. Botox is not only for women, men can also use this procedure to soften some of their wrinkles and fine lines. Botox is safe for almost everyone. It truly works like magic.
How Botox works
- When you smile or frown, the muscles in specific areas of your face are reacting to signals from your facial nerves. Botox is injected under the surface of the skin to temporarily block those nerve signals from reaching your facial muscles, in essence relaxing them so they don’t respond so enthusiastically.
- Botox is injected strategically into specific areas determined by your cosmetic specialist and it’s an FDA-approved cosmetic treatment for improvement of lines and wrinkles. Injections are made with a very small and thin needle, the size of a hair follicle, and can be administered in as little as 10 minutes, depending upon the areas you wish to address.
Is Botox Right for Me?
Botox is one of the most popular methods for addressing lines and wrinkles due to aging, but most people are not aware there are multiple types dermal fillers that can be utilized in conjunction with Botox injections to add volume if necessary, depending upon your age and visible signs of aging.
You are a good candidate for Botox if one or more of the following applies to you:
- You have crow’s feet or worry lines around your eyes
- You have moderate to severe frown lines between the brows
- You find that your makeup is collecting in facial creases and lines
- You’re experiencing a droopy brow
- You have lines above your upper lip
To maintain your youthful appearance, you should plan for recurring Botox treatments every 3-4 months to relax the wrinkles again.
In small amounts, Botox is also effective for smoothing wrinkles on the upper lip and it can be utilized to strategically lift a sagging brow.
Once referred to as “character lines,” fine lines and wrinkles may have nothing to do with the type of person you are, but they do have a distinct impact on the way you look and feel about yourself, as well as, the impression you leave on others. So it is in your best interest to stay on top of your Botox maintenance schedule.